The Edit My Profile portlet allows user to edit value of one or more attributes in his user profile, Once user logs into the portal he should see the Edit My Profile link in the top right corner of the portal page. When you click on that link you will get a screen like this.
If you click on the Edit My Profile link it will take you the screen where you can edit few attributes from your user profile
Important Note Most of the companies dont allow portal to update data in the LDAP. So make sure that your LDAP binding user has right access to the LDAP server
As you can see by default it allows you to edit values for First Name, Last Name, password, Email and Preferred Language fields. You can change the fields that are displayed on the Edit Profile screen to add additional attributes by following these steps
- I wanted to add
testProperty, which is a custom attribute. So first i did add
testPropertyas ldap attribute by following steps described in Adding new attributes to WebSphere Portal
- Then i logged in into the WebSPhere Portal with Administrative user and went to Edit My Profile portlet
- Go to the Edit mode of Edit My profile by clicking on the customize button. In the Edit mode it allows us to define what all attributes you want to display on the Edit My Profile screen + User Registration portlet so check check box next to
titleproperties and save
- Now when you come back to the Edit My profile portlet you should see couple of new fields there.
- Enter some data in those two fields and click save. In my case i am using Default File based repository so that data gets saved in the wp_profile\config\cells\sunpa\fileRegistry.xml file.
<wim:identifier externalId="c233f13f-663d-4292-baf0-989e2ef805a4" externalName="uid=wasadmin,o=defaultWIMFileBasedRealm"
<wim:testProperty>Test property value</wim:testProperty>
In my case i changed values for wasadmin user so this is what i see in the fileRegistry.xml after saving my change in the Edit My Profile portlet
- Now log out of the portal and go the User Registration screen and you should see a screen like this